Skip to main content

Featured Post

Now blogging over at Onemanmanyplans.com.au

It's been real, thanks Blogger! Hey thanks for checking out this page! After 10 years of posting here and over 600 posts, it's time to try something new at over possibly greener pastures. Which means you can now find me and all my random adventuring ways over at One Man Many Plans . 

The adventures of a (potential) Bytecoin Billionaire

I'm dipping my toe into the raging lake that is Cryptocurrency because I'm always late to any bandwagon party and now's a good a time as any to confuse everyone I work with by telling them of my mining activities without a single gold seam or pick axe handy.



Confused? Me too. But it won't matter when I'm filthy stinking rich will it?

WHAT IS THIS MAD RAMBLING 'CRYTOCURRENCY' YOU SPEAK OF?

Look I could try to explain it but I'd only confuse us both. So maybe swing by your favourite Cafe Late emporium and while they're preparing your brew, you can read this pretty handy guide right here. (I have read part of it briefly but then got distracted by all the pictures of exotic Italian Supercars I'm going to buy when my coins go through the stratosphere.



SO I'VE BEEN BUSY MINING

No not in the traditional 'descend into a deep mine shaft and hope the canary doesn't cark it before I emerged covered in gold dust type of mining' - more sort of 'run some mining programs in the background while I use my devices for other things' type of digital mining. I've set them up and with one click they get to work (and thankfully don't start singing 'Hi ho, hi ho...') and occasionally I'll come back and check on them to make sure they haven't struck a vast fortune, bought a small island and absconded with my Stagea.

CAN I TOUCH YOUR COINS?

Not without buying me a drink, no. Also they're not physical coins, just digital ones. I just see a balance on a screen that one day (provided nothing catches on fire or anything) will buy me a fleet of Ferraris. Or a coffee.

SO HOW DO YOU MINE?

I've tried a couple of ways. One works well okay, one is hilariously inefficient. 



MOBILE PHONE MINING

Guess which one this one is? Using an app caller MinerGate on my Huawei P9, I've set it to mine glorious Bytecoins through my wifi while I'm at home checking my emails and asking my son Jackson to stop watching those awful app play-throughs on Youtube. Out of curiosity I let it mine while I slept and I woke 8 hours later to a staggering 4 complete Bytecoins.
Not bad hey? Until I turn the computer on...

COMPUTER MINING 

Using the MinerGate program for Windows 10 between my I5 CPU and ageing Graphics card, I can dig up roughly 2.5-2.75 Bytecoins per hour. Considering proper mining setups can do magnificently better than that, I'm still happy that a) I've actually got a mining setup that's working as some setups are very confusing (well to me at least) and b) the computer is actually doing something while I stare blankly at the screen trying to work out what happens next in my upcoming Sci-Fi novel. 

TWO DAYS IN...

...and running these programs only when I'm doing something else with my devices, I'm swimming in a staggering amount of Bytecoin. Namely 10.65 of them. Wow. A whole ten! At their current price of 0.00007158 US each, you can see how amazingly wealthy I will be in no time flat!  

SO WHAT'S THE PLAN HERE?

I'm planning to mine a small collection of them and just keep them stored away long term. Not just Bytecoin either, I'd like to hold a few of many affordable cryptocoins (that rules out Bitcoin then). Partly because it's pretty cool to say 'look what I mined without any proper plan or setup', partly because if they rise in price there's the chance to make a tiny amount of money and hey, how many people can say 'I'm actually a millionaire...in StrongHands?'

So, anyone else digging for cryto gold?

EDIT: A FEW DAYS LATER

Looks like a (smallish) bug has bitten. Now from mining I have a staggering 45 Bytecoin and a whopping 1 whole Quazarcoin. Riches, riches falling from the sky I tell ya! (Provided the price rises astronomically..)

I have also managed to successfully set up a wallet for my vast horde of Bytecoins - after a few days of frustratingly trying to get the desktop version updated (I gave up, even with the latest blockchain download it's still agonizingly slow and buggy) I have opted for the android version. Much quicker but it looks a touch empty at the moment..

So wanna test it for me? (I have to mine 100 before Minergate will let me transfer them out and I'm roughly halfway there) Like what you're reading here? Feel free to donate - Send me a coin or two if you like, I'd appreciate that :)

Bytecoin: 23V8dRXFZ9iLKgEjZx9TxhM8a3CYzmfGTaYwonfrtE51Z6nKzWbKGBXfNCezqRpKfLJf5dmANoy6uA2bGtZ3uT5fJKPPLwm

EDIT: EVEN DAYS LATER

Now I'm looking at exchanges and places to buy. Why? Because after quite a few days of off and on again mining I will have the equivalent of about 10 cents. Roughly 100 something bytecoins. However for $10 AUD I can buy 6250 in one fell swoop. So I'll keep mining but buying seems to get there a whole heap faster...

EDIT: ROUGHLY ONE WEEK LATER

Okay now I'm really hooked. I'm moving all #altcoin #bytecoin and #bitcoin chat over to my new site. Come say hi!

Comments

Popular Posts