Skip to main content

Featured Post

Now blogging over at Onemanmanyplans.com.au

It's been real, thanks Blogger! Hey thanks for checking out this page! After 10 years of posting here and over 600 posts, it's time to try something new at over possibly greener pastures. Which means you can now find me and all my random adventuring ways over at One Man Many Plans . 

I need a new side hustle

A very welcome email popped into my inbox the other morning - I'd passed the threshold for Google Adsense advertising and $100 was now on its way to my bank account.

Awesome!



Not me nor my cheque. Not even close. 


If only it hadn't taken three whole years to get to that level...

Wait, you mean the ads I see here on occasion for Indian Dental Implants and PDF files aren't as lucrative as I think they are??Well let me ask you this - are you interested in Indian Dental Implants and PDF files? Because if I had the time to make a list of things I'm madly interested in then those two wonderful things wouldn't be anywhere near the top...and it's probably the same for the vast majority of people visiting here. 

And since I get paid when you click an ad and there's very few people swayed by those particular topics, clicks are rare, revenue is sparse.   

I realize that by typing them out above, I've inadvertently triggered this blog to now show more of them especially on this particular post. But I'm proving a point here, namely that I need a much better paying side hustle than hoping people with bad teeth and a keen interest in office documents come by this page, click an ad or two and help me make a whole internet dollar. In about three weeks roughly..


Hilariously I stole this from a blog all about Indian Dental Services. They probably make more money than I do!


Why didn't I pay more attention in computer class?

Actually I do know the answer to this one - when I was doing computer class in high school it was using ancient Pentium powered computers and it was about basic coding and touch typing. It certainly wasn't learning how to use/build or profit from running servers like a good mate I'm currently working with. That's not his main job, more like a side gig and one that seems to be going quite well for him too. 

From a conversation this morning: 

Me: How was the weekend?

Him: Oh mostly wheeling and dealing and putting things in place. 

Me: I didn't know you were a drug dealer!

Him: Hmmm, drug dealer...chief executive for an infrastructure company...pretty much the same thing. (And then he walked off to probably light up a cigar with a spare $100 note or something.) 

Of course his server setup is in a highly secure server farm about 75kms down the road. Which means when something goes wrong (like his attempt to overclock them last night) and you can't fix them remotely, you have to jump in the car and drive a while to get things sorted.
And also I only found out today that it's a series of gaming servers that he runs. I thought webhosting but no, it's all for the gamers.
But the point is moot though, his side gig sure pays a lot more than mine ever will!



I don't know what's happening here. 


(Unless you have bad teeth? Can I suggest a trip to India then?)

One door closes, another opens with an executive chair waiting

Once upon a time I worked with a guy who provided internet hosting as a side gig. And while that ultimately fell by the wayside (or he got bored), the experience taught him that anything was possible and with another mate of mine, he created some software for the radio industry that made awarding prizes and tracking listeners a doddle. 
Basically they created their own company and product and took it around Australia and the world. 
And so when sales took a dive last year in the retail sector across Australia and the company made 90 people across the board redundant, there's a fair chance that he was the only redundancy that went 'Oh well, the fun radio gig is done...I guess I'll just concentrate on being a CEO of my own company now!'
And that's exactly what he's doing.  


Now I haven't taken a sneak peak at his profit/loss statements recently but at a guess...it's possibly churning out more than I get for 1000 views for something called Salesforce. It's just popped up in my ads and of course I know nothing about it save for that 1000 people see the ad and don't click on it, I might make 5 cents.
Results may vary. 


I imagine his xmas parties look like this. But cooler. 


Still, if you've ever wanted to visit India with your teeth falling out...

Sigh, anyone got a blogger side hustle that actually works? Let me know below!

Comments

Popular Posts