Skip to main content

Featured Post

Now blogging over at Onemanmanyplans.com.au

It's been real, thanks Blogger! Hey thanks for checking out this page! After 10 years of posting here and over 600 posts, it's time to try something new at over possibly greener pastures. Which means you can now find me and all my random adventuring ways over at One Man Many Plans . 

Now with new laptop (what could possibly go wrong?)

Oh dear, it seems I've broken my own cardinal rule this week:

Never buy any technology brand new. Not when you can get it much cheaper a generation (or two) later..


What? This isn't old technology!

I've bought a brand new laptop. There goes the neighborhood..

I'm always a generation or two behind technology for a couple of reasons:

1. It's always cheaper which is great because I work in radio and I'm still waiting for my millions to come rolling in. I remember a time when the Sony Playstation 2 was all new, sleek and exciting. So new, sleek and exciting that the day it was released my housemate rushed out and bought one at the low low price of $998. God only knows what I could do with a spare grand...which is why I waited for a bit and bought a PS2 for a low $250. It took a while but it worked just as well as his thousand dollar example..

2. They've sorted out all most of the problems by the time I choose to buy. I kid you not, there's not much that can go wrong with a 1991 Toyota Soarer that someone hasn't experienced yet and written about on the net. Ditto with a 1989 Mazda Rx7. Or my Windows 7 system. Or the Telstra T-Box, which I picked two years after they were released. Yes they still have problems but there's usually a solution somewhere..

The type of tech I'm used to..

So yes, I'm wearing my hypocritical hat today as I type this from my brand new Lenovo G50 laptop, fresh out of the box. It's about as old as my latest gas bill and apparently has technology I'm yet to read about yet. I bought this because it was a price I couldn't say no too (it was actually a bargain) coupled with the fact that now I can spend more time ranting and raving from the comfort of the couch rather than the cold confines of the desktop near the kitchen
So fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong because I'm really enjoying all of these jiggabits, megacrunches and high speed Google box motor at the moment. And I'm looking forward to the lifestyle changes this lappy computer will bring to casa Almigo:

1. A more high brow type of dinner guest who I can relate amazing tales of laptop discoveries to over a fine snifter of brandy in front of a roaring log fire. Complete with zebra skin throw rug. We'll wear safari hats and laugh and joke about Windows 3.1 and how we survived the dark days of Windows NT. We'll call ourselves Charles and compare the size of our investments. My wife will serve fine Camembert. Glorious.

Who remembers Windows 98? Glory to the empire!

2. I'll never lose an argument ever again now that I have lapmaster 2000 by my side. Because I have heard with 100% clarity that everything on the internets is 100% true and written by experts. Therefore I cannot lose here.

3. I will never miss an email again. No more missed opportunities from Nigerian Princes who need my exhaustive banking experience to help them move so much money and pay for my son's first Lamborghini in the process. No more missed emails from people offering me pills, wedding dresses or Ukranian wives. I'll be an email machine 24-7, 398 days a year, I'm set!

I have a new laptop here, what could possibly go wrong?

Comments

Popular Posts