Skip to main content

Featured Post

Now blogging over at Onemanmanyplans.com.au

It's been real, thanks Blogger! Hey thanks for checking out this page! After 10 years of posting here and over 600 posts, it's time to try something new at over possibly greener pastures. Which means you can now find me and all my random adventuring ways over at One Man Many Plans . 

Mix it, smash it, lift some more - road testing some protein powders!

So I've been picking up and putting down the iron out in the backyard on and off again for years, if not almost a couple of decades. Sometimes there was a plan, more often not just the occasional session of lifting until I got tired (and/or bored) and then repeat the process a few days later. I got a little stronger and slightly leaner in the process and I really enjoy my backyard sessions.

It's very rare you'll find me in a gym like this one..

Curiously I decided to track how much protein I was ingesting on a day to day basis (to see if it was enough mainly) and lo and behold, wouldn't you know it? My intake was under where it should be. Can't build muscle with a half empty fuel tank.

So with a proper weight lifting plan on board this time, let's take a look at some of the protein powder sachets available before I find one I really like and buy a big tub of the stuff...

Not enough materials to build up this fortress

The free version comes with ads but it's bearable.

Depending on various sources you need 1.5 - 2 grams of protein per kg to build muscle and I found that by plugging in what I eat on a day to day basis through the app Macro on android, I was falling short. No major deficiencies (a touch too much fat intake though) but the protein side of things needed a bit of a leg up. So I've been eating plenty of those little tuna tins to make up the balance and this is how we've arrived at finding a protein powder that doesn't taste like recycled cardboard (which is what most chocolate protein bars taste to me)

(Also I'm hoping that with enough protein each day I won't be struck down by that feeling of being run over by an angry bus that I get the day after a heavy weights session..)

My experience with protein powder is pretty limited...

Once upon a time I was asked by my wife to pick up some for her training regime. I can't remember what I came home with but I don't think she enjoyed it too much (which means it was probably vanilla flavored). Two weeks later some strawberry milkshake flavored powder appeared next to the one I bought and being suggested by someone with half an idea, she stuck with that.

Therefore I'm trying what's available in taster/sachet form before I commit to a style and flavor that really works with me (there's no stuck thing as red wine or steak sandwich flavored protein powder out on the market is there?) 

This doesn't look that appealing..


For Australian based readers I'm starting with what's on offer from Chemist Warehouse until I find somewhere else that also serves up these little packs. They're normally $2.50 per sachet but these were 5 for $10 which is a bargain compared to those rubbish tasting protein bars you find in the your local supermarket (and these pack far more protein too)

For US readers and those who love a good buy via Amazon, your choices are far more overwhelming than mine. 


I'm drinking them out of...

A fancy protein shaker complete with metal shaker ball to dispense the powder perfectly with every shake AND a compartment that keeps the powder separate until it's go time?

Yeah I don't have one. I had a basic shaker years ago but I probably turfed it a couple of house moves ago. Therefore my current vessel of choice...


A freebie bottle I scored in the run up to the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games! Used on a handful of occasions and then relegated to the back of the garage, it should suit my purposes for chugging down the proteins on the way to work perfectly.
(Fun fact: The site getsetforthegames.com still works but all it does is thank the Queensland public for putting up with the games and informs you the site is closed)

If you're looking for something basic, maybe try the Revlabs Shaker which seems cheap and cheerful.

However if you're looking for something a little more Swanky, the bullet shaped ShakeSphere Tumbler looks very sleek in black and seems to come highly recommended.

(Also this one seems to be one of the most popular on Amazon right now. All these people can't be wrong can they?)

So before we consume, what's the plan?

Years ago I tried the Starting Strength/Stronglifts 5x5 plan and found it to be very beneficial. (There was one time when I was in the local pool and pushing myself out I was surprised at just about how much I spring boarded out of the water..) so this time around I'm working with a basic but hopefully brutally effective strength building plan - 5/3/1

It concentrates on getting stronger with just four exercises:
Barbell dead lifts 

Barbell bench presses (still on the lookout for a bench press currently so I'm doing floor presses for this one)

Military Press/Overhead barbell press - I've always been a big fan of this one

Barbell Squat - On the flip side of the coin, I despise squats..even though I understand how beneficial they can be



After my first week I've found that the deadlifts made me super sore, the overhead presses were fine until I got to the last 'big but boring sets' and I really struggled to finish the ten, the bench press section was fine and the squats - well I just finished my latest sets so we'll see if we can still walk again tomorrow..

Just a quick note, it's concentrating on one exercise per session. I thought it was all of them per session which would kill someone like me. Read up before you attempt it, go slow but marvel when you start breaking your own records. 

Additional: I've found that if I do the squats part at night, I really struggle to sleep. Like it's impossible to switch off. I'm saving these sessions for weekends and in the morning/early afternoon.

App suggestion: Wendler 5/3/1 app (Google Play) - takes a little to get used to but it will tell you what to lift and when to lift it easily enough. 



For IOS users, maybe try Powerlifter.

So we have the fuel and the fire, let's shake things up baby!

1. INC 100% DYNAMIC WHEY - RECOVERY AND REBUILD - VANILLA



So I can't tell you what these things smell like because my sense of smell is currently shot (unless something smells super strong, then my nostrils put it up) but thankfully our first cab off the rank does not taste like blended up cardboard with a hint of vanilla thrown in for good measure which is very pleasing.
Rather it came out like a vanilla milkshake (or technically a vanilla water shake) with a bit of sweetness but not too much. 
Very easy to drink on the car ride to work and I didn't feel bloated at the end of it or sickly sweet. 

Did I feel repaired shortly after? Well I didn't notice much difference to be honest but it is early days. 

A good start so far.

2. INC 100% WPI - CHOCOLATE


From recovering we move onto a pure hit of swole catching protein powder that when mixed looks like something I drained out of my Toyota when I first bought it because the idiot owner before me never changed the coolant. 

Pretty!
Thankfully it doesn't taste like ages old Toyota Coolant but like a bowl of chocolate cake mix you've filled with water to get it clean. Definitely not the water milkshake effect of the first one.
There's a sweetness but it's not as strong. There's also an ever so slight powder back taste on the roof of my mouth with every slurp.

Still it's easy to drink and tastes like weak cake mix. The vanilla one is still just standing on top at this stage...

ALTERNATIVE METHOD - Whey Protein and coffee

Needing a coffee hit AND some protein straight after my latest Overhead Press session, I came up with this:

1. Turn the kettle on.
2. Do your workout. By the time you're done the water will be warm but no longer boiling.
3. Add one scoop of coffee and then fill your tall cup halfway with the warm kettle water
4. Pour the WPI on top of the water and then use a long spoon (or use a chopstick) to stir things up
5. Fill to the top and put the lid on.



You end up with a slightly sweet, slightly chocolaty half strength coffee that is very easy to drink and when I was done, there weren't any clumps left down the bottom. Impressive!

3. INC MICELLAR CASEIN - VANILLA FLAVOUR




All protein powders taste the same yeah? (which you'd guess coming from the same brand/manufacturer they would) But uh..no, that's not the taste, I mean case.

This one has the taste and appeal of...Clag glue.



Yeah that glue you may have used in primary school to haphazardly stick cut out shapes on a bit of butchers paper, heavily diluted and sprinkled with just the barest of vanilla flavor.
It doesn't seem to blend as well as the others.
It's a bit of a chore to drink in comparison to the others.
After the first few sips it becomes less vanilla and more craft glue and water..

...however...

I drank it shortly after my latest round of 5/3/1 (the 3 part for the barbell deadlift) and usually the day after a tonne of barbell deadlifts, I'm a great example of a walking wounded (especially my back). But at the time of writing I actually feel half decent. Not strong enough to do it all again obviously but a lot less sore than I expected to be.

So either my body is getting used to the torture...
I'm definitely getting enough protein to rebuild with less pain...
Or this recovery and rebuild stuff is really helpful?
Time will tell..

Still tastes like watery glue though, hope the chocolate one is better..

(Oh and I farted a bit more than usual the day after this one. It may have had an effect, it may be something else)

4. INC MICELLAR CASEIN - CHOCOLATE FLAVOUR




Far better tasting than it's Vanilla brother (but that's still not saying much) it still doesn't mix as well as the whey and comes out a lot less flavorful than it's chocolate whey cousin. I'd describe it as a heavy flour based cheap and nasty cake mix.
With water.

Mixing it with coffee might give it a bit of a leg up but considering this is supposed to be taken at night and caffeine for me after 4pm is like pouring petrol into an active volcano, it's not high on my list of things to try.
Doesn't mix as well as whey, doesn't taste like craft glue either which is handy..

5. SCITECH NUTRITION - 100% WHEY PROTEIN VANILLA

BEST TASTING SO FAR


I'm a skeptical bastard when it comes to buying into things like 'great taste!' on packets of anything (cat's choice anyone?) preferring to make my own mind up than taking it on face value but with this one, they're actually bang on - it does have a great taste.

However for me it doesn't taste like vanilla.

Bought from the supermarket for $2.50, this mixed with water tastes like milk with just a hint of honey and after spending twenty minutes in the freezer after being mixed (I figured I'd try a thick shake type of effect - didn't work) it hit the spot after unleashing week 2 of the Squats workout in 5/3/1.

While my legs ached all night (and will for the next couple of days as usual) I can state that this one has one of the best flavors of all so far, albeit with the lowest protein count of everything on this list too. A few points higher on the protein intake and this would be killer.

6. VITAL STRENGTH PROFESSIONAL MUSCLE - CHOCOLATE BLAST


BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK SO FAR




Good golly, moved on from sachets to big tubs already? Well no, it was more of a case it was half price at the supermarket (Woolworths Aus) and I was completely out of supplements so why not give it a spin?

There's 12 x 60gm serves at this one and at $17.50 half price special it works out at $1.45 per serve which is pretty good considering you're up for 34gm of protein per serve (and 45gm when you mix it with milk which I haven't considered til now).

So there's value there, but does it taste any good?

Well I'm yet to mix it with water but I can report that after my latest dead lift session, a serve of this mixed with warm milk goes down very well indeed. It's not super sweet, it's not super chocolately either but blends very well and hits the spot when your body is gasping and wheezing getting closer to a personal best.
A day later and I'm not farting like a machine nor have the urge to rip my car door off it's hinges. Also while I'm still a little tired, I'm not super sore either (which is surprising because I took a week off training to prepare for an awards night so I expected to hurt today) so recovery might be on par.

(Also if someone could explain what the little green flecks are in this stuff, I'd love to know. I'm assuming it's something useful in the mix) 

Enjoying this one so far!

Comments

Popular Posts