Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the future because I have written today's post mostly via headset.
Yes today, in a first for this blog and my writing career of many, many decades, this is the very first time I've ever used any kind of dictation software, let alone AI, to help craft a post on this blog. That's exactly what I'm doing today.
As you're reading this I'm speaking this or I was speaking this through my camouflage gaming headset and the microphone that came with it. That conveniently was somewhere around the shed and took quite some time to find, plus the splitter that I needed for the computer. That was it. I apparently had the parts for this the entire time just downstairs, waiting to be unearthed and waiting to be put to good use.
Thanks to finding a program called Wispr Flow, here I am crafting up the latest post for this blog here at Adventures of El Migo Almigo via my voice. Very, very, very strange because I am used to putting fist to in a keyboard and mashing fingers against keys, sometimes slightly, sometimes frantically. The point is that I can type pretty quickly but unsurprisingly speak quicker than that.
Thanks to a recommendation by tech guide Stephen Fennick Fenech when I was talking to him on today's radio show, he said, "Why don't you give it a try? I use it." This is Stephen (speaking), of course, for notes, dictation, and long-form pieces. I thought, "Well I've got nothing to lose here. Why not give it a go?" So far so good.
| About 100 of these words were stopping and starting this piece until I got my flow feeling correct |
I am going to go through the post when it's all done and pasted into Word because that's what I'm using on my computer at the moment and correct it as we go. For the most part it is looking pretty good so far and it's remarkable because I'm literally going off the top of my head. I am staring at a blank screen so at this stage of recording into this I have no idea exactly how accurate it is.
I will write a follow-up paragraph in a sec once it all finishes and put it into Word, ready to paste into Blogger. For the sake of things this is pretty nifty technology and I've got to say I'm enjoying this free trial immensely. Who knows this could be the start of some big things, because while I enjoy writing, sometimes just putting a thousand words to my latest project can be a bit of a slog. My brain and my voice seem to work a lot faster than my keys and my fingers could ever catch up to. If it can grab what I'm thinking and speaking and chuck it on paper just as soon as I finish speaking it, well, like I said, this might be the start to possibly my writing revolution. I think that's enough for waxing lyrical into my gaming headset for now. This has been a very first test and things are looking pretty good for Wispr Flow so far.
Post-dictation notes (back to fingers on keyboard for this bit)
However when I have the house to myself, look out - I feel I'm going to speak into this thing A LOT.
You plug the splitter into your computer and your headset to the splitter and away you go. These should be a available wherever you get your hi-fi gear or of course via places like Amazon (affiliate link.) If you already game with a headset and a working mic, there's every chance you already have this.
Comments
Post a Comment