Skip to main content

Featured Post

Now blogging over at Onemanmanyplans.com.au

It's been real, thanks Blogger! Hey thanks for checking out this page! After 10 years of posting here and over 600 posts, it's time to try something new at over possibly greener pastures. Which means you can now find me and all my random adventuring ways over at One Man Many Plans . 

The Breakfast Radio Diaries 147 - Do not crash!

Flying solo today on the show due to a bout of possible food poisoning, I'm happy to report that I didn't crash the show into the nearest wall.

Not me! Not today!

Also I fixed 33% of Yesterday's issues so that's a bonus..

1 OUT OF 3 I ENDED UP FIXING...THE SON'S COMPUTER

Yeah I started with his computer first because he's been so patient through all of the slowdowns that something deep within the system has been causing. And since I couldn't pinpoint the exact problem I did the logical thing, I started all over again. A fresh install of Windows on a new drive should be nice and simply shouldn't it?

Of course it wasn't.

-It took me forever to find out why it was looking for a drive that didn't exist. My newer hard drive finally showed up to go in the correct order in the boot menu after I selected the 'Legacy' option. Fantastic, now at least it can see it. 

-Now that I sorted that issue, Windows 10 install via USB seemed to work a little differently, putting in partitions it didn't do the first two installs. Well okay then.

-Fresh off the boat, Windows was now flying but hilariously out of date. I couldn't update his Nvidia drivers until this was fixed so update after update was installed, restarted and ticked off ready for the next one. 

-In between updates I put the old drive back as a secondary and immediately noticed a slow down. Ahh, maybe it was this drive that was the issue? The issues with this continued when Jack asked to transfer his vast YouTube creation folder over to the fresh drive...and the pc wouldn't get there. On the old desktop, windows explorer heed and hawed but didn't get where I needed it to. Which lead me to search up some free recovery software on Reddit which in turn led me to the free version of DMDE.


-Hats off to the development team on this one, DMDE worked like a charm. It's explorer didn't hit any barriers exploring the old desktop folders and in no time flat I located the folder I couldn't reach before and copied over everything in it easily ending up with a very thankful 11 year old before I took out the bugged drive and drop punted it down the hallway. Thank you DMDE! 

-Things slowed down again after Windows Update 20H2 which came out last year. Apparently a few people out there had the same issue but thankfully the next update and a few more updated drivers got it back up to speed again. 

All in all it was about 7 hours of troubleshooting, updating, installing and waiting. But at least it works (for now) and that's one to do off my ever increasing list!


WHAT DID THEY CALL YOU BACK IN HIGH SCHOOL?

That's what I asked today, high school nicknames. Mine certainly wasn't original with 'Big Al' but I was okay with it, what with my towering height of 5 foot 9 inches and all at the time. I even used it on air for a time and once in a blue moon someone I know still uses it. 
Matt in the studio near mine was called 'Toad.'

Why Toad?

'Because I was fat and ugly. Kids can be cruel..' Ouch.

One caller revealed she was called Beaker on account of her perm style back in the day..

Now I get it!


Another on the Facebook page revealed his new nickname at work was earned just yesterday. He's now called 'Pedals' after moving a company car and almost burning out the clutch. Whoops!

What was your nickname in high school and how did you get it? Let me know below!


TOMORROW 

For Flock of 80's we're talking Christmas holiday destinations! We're getting into the last streets of our Borders luckiest street competition! I'll try not to fall asleep behind the desk! (It's been a big week!) 


Chat then!


Comments

Popular Posts