Skip to main content

Featured Post

Now blogging over at Onemanmanyplans.com.au

It's been real, thanks Blogger! Hey thanks for checking out this page! After 10 years of posting here and over 600 posts, it's time to try something new at over possibly greener pastures. Which means you can now find me and all my random adventuring ways over at One Man Many Plans . 

The mystery of Colin and the boathouse

So the last time we have a good old mystery on this very page, it took two years to get solved but we finally learnt the identity of The Mysterious Cowboy Song that time forgot (Richard Kingsmill from Triple J solved it in no time flat!). 

So new mystery time! And this time I'm hoping to track down a 90's movie that may or may not star Colin Friels in it, simply because I appear in the back of one of the scenes...and I've never actually seen the final production!

Is it Colin I'm remembering or am I confusing someone else?


Can you help me out here again internet?

The clues I remember so far 

-The scene I was in the background of was in a bar near the Yarra river. I lived in Richmond at the time and thanks to one of my dad's media connections, I got invited to go to a local film shoot and wound up being an extra. I remember it being past the big bridge we used to walk on as kids and on the left hand side of Victoria street (the Skipping Girl Vinegar logo side) and I reckon I walked home when it was done. A look at a map suggests that it may be where Kitty Burns is today, unless there were other bars there that are no now longer.

 
-I'm in the back of the shot as an extra, drinking a beer which is ironic as I was underage at the time (and wasn't allowed to actually drink any of that yummy beer either). They shot that scene over five times and poured me a new beer every time...that I couldn't drink. This means it was shot before 1998. Best guess was that I was 15, 16 at the time making it around 1995-1996

- I had in my head that it was filmed at the Richmond Boathouse. Unless it was there and now is no longer. It's not the Richmond Rowing Club which is far further up the Yarra, this shoot was close to home. 



-I also swear it starred Colin Friels in it, looking like he did in that 90's picture above. He (or whoever I'm confusing him for) walks into this bar, confronts someone about screwing up a team, grabs a napkin, spits in it, folds it up and stuffs it into the man's pocket before walking off. May or may not have a connection with some kind of sporting team. 

-Going through Colin's film movements of the 90's I can safely rule out: 

Class Action and Dingo (no way I could have been at that bar aged 12!)
The last man hanged (it was a doco)
Nostadamus Kid (He wasn't putting on an American accent)
Mr Reliable (I don't remember any of the costumes being set in the 60s when I was there) 
Stark (wasn't sci fi)
A good man in Africa
Space Above and Beyond (for obvious reasons this one)
Back of Beyond (that was in the outback)
Dark City (no)

-However he did star in a few TV shows in the 90's which means I may have ended up in an episode of Halifax FP, Seven Deadly Sins or even an ep of Water Rats which all fit the timeline. 

(Edit: Water Rats was Sydney based so that ones out..)

-The company that filmed it may have been Horizon Films St Kilda as my dad had done some stuff with them before and must have told them I was interested in media at the time?
Checking IMDB for both the company directors work doesn't ring any bells, neither does their work list. I have messaged them but haven't heard back.

-A list of films shot in Richmond doesn't work either Dogs in Space is way too early, Hating Alison Ashley and One perfect day was too late. 

More clues as I can remember them/more movies eliminated as the search goes on - but can anyone help me out with this paltry list of details so far? 

Comments

Popular Posts