Skip to main content

Featured Post

Now blogging over at Onemanmanyplans.com.au

It's been real, thanks Blogger! Hey thanks for checking out this page! After 10 years of posting here and over 600 posts, it's time to try something new at over possibly greener pastures. Which means you can now find me and all my random adventuring ways over at One Man Many Plans . 

The Breakfast Radio Diaries 149 - 700 round trip klicks and counting

One car, one tram, two trains, two states of Australia, three pizzas, two beers, over 700 kilometres covered and the world's worst hot dog near the end of it. 

So that was my Sunday, how was yours?

THE ALARM WENT OFF AT 5AM

And seriously, unless it's an emergency or you're a hardcore fitness fanatic, that's a criminal time to be woken up. But when your next destination is over 300km down the road, you really need to get a move on. And that's what we did, bundling the kids in the car, making sure we packed all the phone chargers and the kids books and off we went. There was family in town we hadn't seen for two years, my son had some important medical appointments down there and since my wife and I were both working the day before, Sunday was all we had left. 

I won't bore you with the nitty gritty, it was a road trip. Life conversations and strange questions from the kids in the back. McDonalds pit stops and thankfully very little water on the road. A stop off at mums place and then off to the AirBnb my brother and his partner had rented. And wow, was that an eye opener!

ROOM WITH A VIEW

Oh Jackson..


Staying in Collingwood near my old stomping ground of Richmond, their AirBnb had everything from glorious views to a contemporary kitchen, BBQ out on the back deck for entertaining and even a bench press setup if you couldn't find a gym near enough!

Oh and rain. Because it's spring time in Melbourne and for whatever reason mother nature has deemed it necessary for even more of the wet stuff to cool down our exciting afternoon. 


Still, we weren't going to let random downpours dampen our enthusiasm for a family catch up with plenty of highlights:

-I met my new nephew and he's adorable. 

-I got to play magic tricks on my other nephew. For the record I only know the one (the missing coin trick) but he thought it was an absolute riot though, especially when they kept reappearing near his ear. 

-The beer, a couple of West Coast IPAs. Delicious. 

-The Pizzas. I have no idea where Guy ordered them from but they were absolute dynamite, the Italian sausage and pesto one especially. Since the latest nephew was having a big sleep, we ordered in and ate like kings. Amazing. 

-Just the catch up in general. My brother and I text/email each other every couple of weeks but it was so nice to have a face to face and pretend like no time had past at all since the last catch up (note: the last catch up was over two years ago..) 

-More of the view



Unfortunately all good things must come to an end and not for the first time I wished I had a super magic remote that could just freeze the world around us and we could do what we liked free from the pausing. I bid my goodbyes and full of pizza, beer and good cheer, made my way out onto the street and hopefully in the right direction to the nearest tram. 

I'd ask this guy but I feared I may get trapped in a truly amazing conversation. 


TAKE THE RANDOM WAY HOME

I found the nearest tram, found a family looking for directions (hopefully I gave them the right one) and then jumped off the tram halfway to the destination because hey, there's Parliament station with it's really long escalators and wouldn't be it be fun i-

Next second:


From there I found a train to Southern Cross Station and there I found a truly terrible hot dog combo for $17.50 before I board the last train home.

I DON'T THINK YOUR TITLE IS LEGITIMATE

I had a craving for cheese kransky and chips, I got a vegan hot dog instead and the chips that came with it tried to kill me. Of course I didn't even notice it was vegan fare until after I'd paid for it and they started putting it together with tweezers, that's when I noticed the sticker on everything that said '100% vegan friendly' and I wondered how that could be given most hot dogs are full of all sorts of mystery meat. 
Well the joke was on me wasn't it when the flavourless dog ended up being meatless and the fries shotgunned my taste buds into oblivion with a force five double barrel salt assault. Mother of the chip gods, these were awfull. Rather than dust them lightly with a coating of the salty stuff, they obviously removed the lid of the shaker and tipped the entire canister in and I regretted only buying one drink knowing that I'd need at least five strong somethings to get this over salted taste out of my mouth now. 

Lord of the Fries? You're deluding yourself if that batch of salt dusted with potato is your royal decree. (And after that my own made up title seems more legitimate). But I suppose the well and truly over seasoned withered potato husks is making up for the lack of anything hot dog that tasted of mustard and bread and something plain wedged in the middle. And all for the price of $17.50. 
How much is a Wendy's Shake N Dog? A lot less than that I'm guessing and nowhere near as salty. 
Sigh, the things you try out when you're on the way home from an exhausting weekend. 

And it was exhausting too, the train was late and I walked in the rain to get home just a few blocks away. When the alarm went off, my mouth was still salty.
But hey, I got to see my family and have an awesome weekend - and I'm more than happy to travel for seven hours for something like that to happen :D


1ST GEAR

Coffee, cereal and the show went on, even though I would have quite happily put my head down for a nap halfway through it. We chatted about the weekend (huge day Saturday - McHappy Day of course and we also gave away $5000 at a special outside broadcast), gave away some tickets to the Red Hot Summer Tour and raced to the coffee shop when it was over. 

Actually after relating all of this today, a nap right now probably wouldn't go astray either...zzzzzz

Here's to sleeping again!

Chat soon
-Almigo

Comments

Popular Posts